Sediment control is a practice designed to keep eroded soil at the construction site
This is so the soil does not wash off and cause water pollution to a nearby stream, river, lake, or sea. Several decades ago, sediment was declared the main cause of water pollution. Unfortunately, this is still the case today.
Sustainable mature vegetation is the permanent solution for erosion. Temporary measures are needed to prevent sediment movement from construction sites and they are called “sediment control BMP’s” (best management practices).
Important factors to be considered when selecting a suitable sediment control BMP’s:
|Ability to filter sediment.||Ability to blend with the environment.||Material and installation costs.|
|Ability of water to pass through easily.||Ability to biodegrade.||Removal and disposal costs, if necessary.|
|Strength of the material.||Ability to reuse.||Reconstruction costs.|
|Durability of the materials.|
There are variety of sediment control devises available in the market and unfortunately, most of them are made with synthetic nondegradable materials that cause damage wildlife. These synthetic products are more expensive as their cost is not only the materials costs, but also the cost for removal, transport and landfill costs.
Disadvantages of synthetic sediment control devices
- Most of them are not filtering sediment effectively.
- Upon completion of construction, they need to be removed and transport to landfills. This increase the cost of the device significantly.
Failures not only require reconstruction, but also create extremely expensive and irreversible damage to our ecosystem.
To avoid these disadvantages in synthetic sediment control devices, use RoLanka’s GeoNatural™ coir sediment control products
RoLanka offers GeoNatural™ sediment control devices made of coir (coconut fiber). These 100% biodegradable devices use the mattress coir fiber which is an excellent filtering medium and outer nets with strong durable bristle coir twines. Tensile strength coir fiber exceeds that of straw and excelsior (wood fiber) and jute.
Advantages of GeoNatural™ coir sediment control products
- Coir fiber is unpalatable to wildlife, which makes them a more suitable for sediment control without causing any damage to wildlife.
- Coir sediment control products can be left at the site or they can be buried on site upon use. Therefore, no need for removal and disposal.
- Coir fiber is an excellent filtering medium. Perform better than all other natural fibers.
- Coir fiber is a mulch that easily blend with soil and improve soil.
- Extremely cost effective, only material cost. There is no removal, hauling and landfill costs.
- Aesthetically pleasing applications.
Coir wattles successfully filter sediment and support vegetation establishment.