BioD-Mat® 60 erosion control blanket is woven from machine-spun bristle coir twines. This semi-permanent 100% biodegradable, strong and durable bristle coir woven blankets provide higher resistance upon installation while supporting growth and development of vegetation. BioD-Mat® 60 blanket has field functional longevity of 4-6 years. These blankets allow designers and specifiers to go beyond the design limits of other types of organic erosion control blankets. These strong, durable and biodegradable blankets play an important role in soil bioengineering. The open weave in the BioD-Mat® 60 blanket allow reseeding before and after installation. The 0.75 in x 0.5 in opening in the blanket allows planting plugs through the blanket without cutting the blanket. When selecting and specifying woven coir mats, designers should not only consider the unit weight, but also the wet tensile strengths, coir type, open area as well as machine direction and cross direction twine counts.
BioD-Mat® 60 blanket is available only in one roll size.
6.56 ft. x 166ft= 120 SY/roll (2 m x 50 m =100 m2/roll)
BioD-Mat® 60 blanket does not contain any synthetic materials to harm wildlife.
Sri Lanka patent # 11159
|Property||Test Method||BioD-Mat® 60|
|Weight||ASTM D 3776||17.8 oz./SY (600g/sq.m)|
|Dry tensile strength
|ASTM D 4595||1130 lbs./ft. (16.5 kN/m)
1040 lbs./ft. (15.2 kN/m)
|Wet tensile strength
|ASTM D 4595||910 lbs./ft. (13.3 kN/m)
870 lbs./ft. (12.7 kN/m)
|Elongation at failure Wet
|ASTM D 4595||32%
|Thickness||ASTM D 1777||0.35 in (9 mm)|
|Minimum Twine Count
MD x CD (per foot)
|20 x 16|
|Recommended flow||10 fps (3.0 m/s)|
|Recommended shear stress||4 lbs./sq. ft. (192N/sq.m)|
- High flow channels
- Slopes 2:1
- Streambank restoration
- Wetland restoration
- All types of soil bioengineering applications
- 100% biodegradable.
- Economical compared to synthetic mats.
- Open weave allows re-seeding, when necessary.
- Open weave allows planting through the mat without cutting the mat.
- Easy to install and to walk on the mat.
- Not palatable for wildlife and completely wildlife safe.
- Higher resistance to UV light compared to synthetic mats.
- Coir twine move independently, create no threat to wildlife movement.
- Support establishing vegetation better than synthetic mats.
- Woven from machine twisted bristle coir fiber twine; strong and durable.
- Hold moisture for seed germination and seedling growth.
- Higher tensile strength and provide initial support in bioengineering applications.
- Last 4 – 6 years and provide aesthetically pleasing applications.
- Made from freshwater cured bristle coir and dark brown in color.