RoLanka ’s BioD-Mat® 40 erosion control blanket is woven from machine-spun bristle coir twines. This semi-permanent 100% biodegradable, strong and durable bristle coir woven blanket provide higher resistance upon installation while supporting growth and development of vegetation. BioD-Mat® 40 blanket has field functional longevity of 4-6 years. These blankets allow designers and specifiers to go beyond the design limits of other types of organic erosion control blankets. These strong, durable and biodegradable blankets play an important role in soil bioengineering. The open weave in the BioD-Mat® 40 blanket allow reseeding before and after installation. The 0.75 in. x 0.75 in. opening in the blanket allows planting plugs through the blanket without cutting the blanket. The 9.84 ft (3m) and 13.1 ft. (4m) wide blankets have one seam in the mat. When selecting and specifying woven coir mats, designers should not only consider the unit weight, but also the wet tensile strengths, coir type, open area as well as machine direction and cross direction twine counts. BioD-Mat® 40 erosion control blanket does not contain any synthetic materials to harm wildlife.
Sri Lanka patent # 11159
BioD-Mat 40 blanket is available in 4 different roll sizes:
3.28 ft. x 83 ft. = 30 SY/roll (1m x 25m =25 m2/roll)
6.56 ft. x 166ft.= 120 SY/roll (2m x 50m =100 m2/roll)
9.84 ft. x 166 ft. = 180 SY/roll (3m x 50m =150 m2/roll)
13.1 ft. x 83 ft. = 120 SY/roll (4m x 25m =120 m2/roll)
|Property||Test Method||BioD-Mat® 40|
|Weight||ASTM D 3776||13.6 oz/SY (460g/sq.m)|
|Dry tensile strength
|ASTM D 4595||780 lbs/ft (11.4 kN/m)
744 lbs/ft (10.9 kN/m)
|Wet tensile strength
|ASTM D 4595||672 lbs/ft (9.8 kN/m)
648 lbs/ft (9.5 kN/m)
|Elongation at failure Wet
|ASTM D 4595||30%
|Thickness||ASTM D 1777||0.35 in (9 mm)|
|Minimum Twine Count
MD x CD (per foot)
|15 x 14|
|Recommended flow||8 fps (2.4 m/s)|
|Recommended shear stress||3 lbs/sq.ft (145N/sq.m)|
- Low flow channels with a mulch underneath the blanket.
- Slopes 2:1
- Streambank restoration
- Wetland restoration
- All types of soil bioengineering application
- 100% biodegradable.
- Economical compared to synthetic mats.
- Open weave allows re-seeding, when necessary.
- Open weave allows planting through the mat without cutting the mat.
- Easy to install and to walk on the mat.
- Wildlife will not feed on the mats.
- Higher resistance to UV light compared to synthetic mats.
- Coir twine move independently, create no threat to wildlife movement.
- Support establishing vegetation better than synthetic mats.
- Woven from machine twisted bristle coir fiber twine; strong and durable.
- Hold moisture for seed germination and seedling growth.
- Higher tensile strength and provide initial support in bioengineering applications.
- Last 4 – 6 years and provide aesthetically pleasing applications.
- Made from freshwater cured bristle coir and dark brown in color.