Coir (coconut fiber) is the fiber processed from coconut husks that have been cured in water. RoLanka offers coir fiber processed in freshwater only. This abundant natural resource is a by-product of the coconut industry. During processing, the initially separated fiber is called mattress coir fiber. These are short and flimsy. The longer and thicker coir fiber are called bristle coir fiber. Bristle coir fiber is the best quality fiber in the market and has very low biodegradability. They are use to make a variety of strong and durable soil erosion and sediment control products.
RoLanka offers limited quantities of Bristle coir fiber (longer, stronger coir fiber) and mattress coir fiber (shorter coir fiber).
These are available in:
- 22 lbs. (10 kg) bales – The bales are 24 in. (60 cm) long, 12 in (30 cm) wide and 12 in (30 cm) tall.
- The fiber can be used to fill the gaps when coir rolls are joined together.
- Coir fiber is excellent to build bird nests. Birds will pick up the fiber and make their own nests too.
- The coir fiber is use in variety of arts and crafts activities.
- Another use of coir fiber is as a filling medium for floating islands.
- Mattress coir fiber is an excellent mulch for landscaping.