BioD-Siltcheck™ is a patented product. US patent #: 7,029,208
BioD-SiltCheck™ is made of 100% coir (coconut fiber). It includes a coir fiber body, which filters and reduces the speed of flowing water, and upstream and downstream filter aprons, which trap sediment and control erosion. When installed properly, the upstream filter apron prevents undercutting, while the downstream filter apron eliminates downstream erosion caused by water flowing over the device. The BioD-SiltCheck™ is an effective sediment control device for many types of construction site applications. BioD-SiltCheck™ is available in 9 in X 15 ft., and 12 in x15 ft. sizes.
Coir silt checks provide effective BMP’s for sediment control during construction. They work well with heavy equipment. They are strong, durable, natural, biodegradable, environmentally-friendly and economical.
|Property||BioD-SiltCheck™ 9||BioD-SiltCheck™ 12|
|Length||15 ft. (4.6 m)||15 ft. (4.6 m)|
|Unit Weight||2.5 lbs./ft. (3.7 kg/m)||3.0 lbs./ft. (5.0 kg/m)|
|Min. Functional Height||9 in (23 cm)||12 in (30 cm)|
|Upstream filter apron||8 in (20 cm)||10 in (25 cm)|
|Downstream filter apron||17 in (43 cm)||24 in (60 cm)|
|Single twine strength||60 lbs. (267 N)||60 lbs. (267 N)|
|Strength of outer net
780 lbs./ft. (11.4 kN/m)
780 lbs./ft. (11.4 kN/m)
|Intersecting points in
|Fillings in the aprons||Mattress coir liner||Mattress coir liner|
|Fillings in the body||Mattress coir fiber||Mattress coir fiber|
|Fiber used in the netting||Bristle coir||Bristle coir|
Most straw and excelsior wattles are wrapped in plastic netting with fixed intersecting points. This design can injure or trap wildlife. By contrast, BioD-SiltCheck™ is encased by a strong, durable, natural coir netting with moveable intersecting points. It poses no hazard to wildlife. Also, biodegradable BioD-SiltCheck™ can be abandoned in place, unlike synthetic materials, which involves the added costs of removal and disposal.
• Stops possible undercutting and downstream erosion.
• Completely wildlife safe. Contain no plastic nets and not palatable for wildlife.
• Efficient sediment retention. Coir fiber is an excellent filtering medium. Lightly-packed coir fiber allows water to go through it freely while filtering sediment from storm water.
• Coir siltchecks comes with strong durable bristle coir twine netting. Coir twine used in the coir siltchecks has 60 lbs strength.
• Extremely flexible coir siltchecks are easy to install and to maintain.
• 100% natural and biodegradable.
• Personal satisfaction with preventing soil loss and protecting aquatic resources.
• Can be used for streambank restorations in low velocity streams
• Only material cost, no removal or disposal costs!