BioD-Pillow™ is composed of a 1 – 2 in thick pad of mattress fiber encased in a case made of BioD-Mat® 40 woven coir blanket. The mattress coir pad holds seeds in place and provides a suitable medium for germinating seeds. The 1 – 2 in thick RoLanka coir pillow comes in 3 ft. (0.91 m) wide and 15 ft. (4.6 m) long pads. Excellent for making floating islands to create spawning grounds for aquatic animals and can be use as a sediment control device.
|Thickness||1 – 2 in (2.5 – 5 cm)|
|Length||15 ft. (4.6 m)|
|Width||3 ft. (0.9 m)|
|Weight of pillow||25 lbs./SY (13.5 kg/m2)|
|Inner fiber type||Mattress coir fiber|
|Strength of outer case||MD: 780 lbs./ft. (11.4 kN/m)
CD: 744 lbs./ft. (10.9 kN/m)
|Open area of outer case||65%|
- Coir pillows can be planted in nurseries to create quick wetlands.
- Coir pillows provide excellent substrate to create floating islands.
- High water holding capacity of mattress coir, keeps roots moist in dry weather conditions.
- Strong, durable bristle coir twine case holds coir medium for extended times and makes handling easier.
- Thick pad of coir successfully traps sediment leaving construction sites. Upon use during construction, the sediment filled BioD-Pillow™ can be laid on the streambank to establish vegetation.
- Flexible case design prevents animal entrapment.
- No synthetic materials or hazardous chemicals in the matrix.
- Quick creation of wetlands. Pre-planted pillows at nursery and install the pillows with established vegetation.
- Field installation followed by planting with plugs, bulbs or cuttings.
- Sediment trapping in waterways near construction sites.
- Floating islands to improve aquatic habitats.