BioD-Block™ is an excellent tool for soil bioengineering applications. It is a coir fiber block system consisting of a densely-packed mattress coir fiber block attached to a bristle coir woven fabric (BioD-Mat® 70 erosion control blanket). An excellent tool for soil bioengineering applications.
RoLanka offers BioD-Block™ system comes in two heights (12 in. and 16 in.). The 12-in. tall coir block is 5-in thick and the 16-in tall coir block is 9-in thick. Both block sizes come in 10-ft long sections. The fabric is connected to the coir block on three sides leaving the other side open to fill with dirt. Each coir block has a female and a male end. These male and female ends in BioD-Block™ create a strong connections between blocks and avoid failures through the connections. The tightly-packed coir blocks provide strong face to the soil layers while protecting the dirt behind the blocks.
The BioD-Block™ system is an excellent tool to construct vegetated soil-lifts for slope stabilization, streambank and shoreline restoration and stream relocations. It is overcome all the drawbacks in tool to improve the performance of fabric encapsulated soil lift techniques.
The BioD-Block™ system has been further improved with invisible holes in the middle of the coir block. Each hole is plugged with a coir fiber plug. Live plant cutting can be planted through these holes during construction or later. Each coir fiber plug can be easily pulled out to expose the hole in the middle of the fiber block, so that live plant cutting can be inserted through the hole into the middle of the soil layer.
BioD-Block is a patented product in USA, India and Sri Lanka.
US patent #: 6893193
Click below to print specifications of BioD-Block system.
- Provides much longer protection to soil wraps from the thick coir fiber block compared to soil wraps with fabrics only.
- The coir block in the system provides constant layer heights and makes construction of fabric wrapped soil layers easier.
- The male-female ends in the coir block system provide strong continuous sections, while maintaining its structural integrity.
- Provides better support to soil behind the rectangular block and more contact area at the bottom.
- In most situations, no inner fabric is required when soil wraps are done with the coir block system, reducing cost.
- Reduces valuable installation time, reduces overall project cost, and provides superior and worry-free designs/ finished products.
- Slope stabilizations
- Streambank and shoreline restoration
- Stream relocations
More information about BioD-Block: